Monday, February 27, 2006

Un-Special Olympics

-CURMUDGEON ALERT -

Your not-so humble correspondent is about to wax nostalgic for a time gone by. You know, one of those, when I was a kid, things were different, and as always that statement in of itself is true. We didn't have cellphones, home wireless networks, microwave popcorn. How'd we live without that?!

But I'm feeling a little nostalgic for the old days at the Winter Olympics. Americans have never been great at the Winter Olympics. But they often seemed to want to win. Not to sure about these Olympians.

Meet Bode Miller. Bode Miller was the favorite to win five medals. That's a lot of hype. But Bode Miller does things his way. Observe:
"The same people who recognize I came out with no medals should recognize I could have won three."

"(For) me, it's been an awesome two weeks," Miller said. "I got to party and socialize at an Olympic level."

"It does matter that it's the Olympics. I just did it my way. I'm not a martyr and I'm not a do-gooder. I just want to go out and rock. And man, I rocked here."


Bode Miller is an example of what happens when you elevate competition above results. No athlete I know or have known would ever say he would rather not win if he is the best. I hope Bode enjoyed rocking Turin. Most of us are happy to no longer have to listen to his insufferable self-righteous excrement anymore.

Linda Robertson writes in the Miami Herald:
Miller was unapologetic. He lived by his motto.

"At least I don't have to go down to Torino for the medal ceremony," he said after blowing the combined.

He was true to himself. So why is he getting ripped for it?

Bode Miller is getting ripped because the last time I checked Americans hated losing. Losing? Screw that. We don't do that in America. And that's why a lot of Americans are tuning out the Olympics.

We want to believe in miracles. We proudly support our Olympians, but when we get told that winning isn't anything, we scratch our heads. Huh? Don't you mean, it's the only thing, Mr. Skier dude?

When the USOC realizes that what we love about the OLympics is not competing it's winning, maybe they'll go back to producing the best athletes, the finest facilities and building a global juggernaut. This isn't meant to be ugly Americanism, but shoot, the Olympics are supposed to be about chanting USA, USA, USA, while watching us whip everyone in sight and tally as many medals as you can.

Oh I forgot, that isn't sporting or good for competition.

See you in Beijing. Well probably not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home